Demystifying Digital Marketing For Small Businesses
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Digital Marketing Analytics
1. What is digital marketing?
All marketing efforts mostly focus on connecting with convertible prospects. To do so, you will have to first find prospects in the place that they are mostly at – online. So, digital marketing typically covers marketing efforts targeted towards internet users who have access to electronic gadgets.
2. Who is digital marketing for?
If your personal brand or business has a presence online, digital marketing is just what you need. Irrespective of your enterprise’s age, size, and vertical of operation, digital marketing can help you gain enhanced online visibility. Resultantly, the improved traffic will pave the way towards improved lead conversion rates.
3. What can digital marketing do for my business?
The main reasons for you to get on board with digital marketing practices include improved website traffic, better lead generation, improved conversion rates, better ROI on marketing campaigns, and increased revenue, among others. Digital marketing can enable you to derive all these benefits and much more at an economical price.
4. I run a small enterprise. How can digital marketing help my business?
Marketing strategies for small businesses heavily rely on low-cost practices owing to budgetary constraints. However, choosing to harness digital marketing services for small businesses can help you at many layers. Right from gaining distinctiveness to accessing your target audience, online marketing can help your business scale up.
5. How can I start marketing my small business online?
You can start by assessing your target audience to find out the online platform they are mostly active on. Based on your findings, start creating relevant content that will appeal to your audience and post them on the identified platforms. You will gain traffic inflow while your prospects will gain valuable takeaways.
6. What kind of content should I create for online consumption?
This depends on the stage you are at as a small business as well as an online entity. In the beginning, you can develop content that will create brand awareness (such as blog posts, infographics, short videos). If you have been operating for a while, eBooks and testimonials are the way to go.
7. Which digital marketing practice best suits my small business?
Start by optimizing your website to attract increased traffic by applying SEO tactics. Thereafter, based on the social media platform your prospects are active on, initiate a social marketing campaign to increase your followers count. You can also publish blog posts to create awareness and finally, build an email list.
8. List out the digital marketing areas that my small business can look at?
– SEO: Attract traffic to your site’s landing page where you can plug in persuading content and CTA.
– Social Media Marketing: Most prospects are on social media making it a good place to promote your business.
– Email marketing: Grow your email list to further your business.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
9. What is SEO?
SEO is the practice of optimizing your website and the content therein to attract an increased quantity of quality traffic to your site. This is an integral part of any digital marketing strategy as it helps in improving your ranks in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERP).
10. How can SEO help small businesses?
SEO can help you create and wield a fast, comprehensive, and easy-to-navigate website for your small business. This will not just help you attract more prospects/leads to your site but will also help you rank higher in the SERP. Resultantly, you will enjoy higher conversion rates and increased revenue.
11. What are the main SEO areas that I need to pay attention to?
While focusing on small business SEO, you need to first optimize your website and the content it carries. Thereafter, you can concentrate on on-page and off-page optimization in addition to building authority by collating quality backlinks. Integration of SEO and content marketing can take your business to new heights.
12. Why is website ranking important for small businesses?
Small businesses will have to wade through stiff competition to make their mark in any given industry. SEO will help you stand out amidst the clutter that provides similar services by gaining you a higher rank in the SERP. This will make your business a go-to destination for the services you provide.
13. Can I do SEO myself?
Yes, you can optimize your website by yourself. However, before you begin optimizing, you should gain as much theoretical and practical know-how as possible. You can consider hiring an SEO agency to render such services for you. This will free your in-house resources to focus on your core business activities.
14. What are the 3 things that I need to know before optimizing my website?
– Keyword research: Conduct comprehensive keyword research to identify and apply convertible keywords.
– Focus on getting backlinks: This will help you drive referral traffic and improve website authority.
– Visitor retention: You can persuade visitors to sign-up to your email list by offering lead magnets.
15. How long does it take for SEO efforts to bear fruit?
Like all good things SEO also takes time to gestate and provide results. Past records cite 4-6 months to be the time frame for all your SEO efforts to kick in and yield results. However, within a span of 12 months, you will witness the complete manifestation of your SEO efforts.
16. What is content marketing?
Content marketing is typically the creation and sharing of online content with an underlying intention to promote a brand and/or its offerings. The main aim of content marketing is to titillate prospects’ interest in what the company has to offer. Content can be blog posts, videos, articles, social media posts, among others.
17. Is content marketing a part of digital marketing?
Yes, content marketing deals with anything that is ‘content’ which encompasses blogs, websites, social media, and other advertising platforms. Hence, it is a part of digital marketing. Its integration with SEO yields the best results in terms of getting it right with search engine algorithms.
18. What are the steps involved to formulate a content marketing strategy for small businesses?
The key steps to formulate content marketing strategy for small businesses are –
– Identify your target audience.
– Understand their pain points that you can resolve.
– Position your brand to speak to prospects.
– Create content in the voice of the customer.
– Review your strategy to accommodate changes.
19. How frequently should I update the content on my website?
Search engine crawlers are always on the look-out for fresh content. This is one of the factors that determines the success of your SEO efforts. Set a target to publish/update 4 or more relevant blog posts to stay within the crawlers’ radar.
Social Media marketing
20. What is social media marketing?
It is a marketing effort wherein you interact with your target audience on various social media platforms to promote your brand and/or offerings. Social media marketing is an effective measure that can enable you to build brand awareness, redirect traffic to your site, increase lead conversion, and resultantly, close sales.
21. Can small businesses benefit from social media marketing?
Social media marketing comes with numerous benefits which you will not want to miss, viz.,
– Increased inbound traffic
– Improved SERP ranking
– Good customer-business interaction
– Higher conversion rates
– Higher revenue.
Social media is one of the best ways to persuade your prospects to click-through or execute your CTA.
22. Which social media platform should I use to further my small business?
Small businesses face the need to extend their reach to the far ends of their target market. Hence, it is best to identify the social media platforms that your prospects are active on. Thereafter, you can decide which platform you can set your foot in first.
23. Is social media marketing relevant for all lines of business?
Yes, you can leverage social media platforms to gain the attention of your target audience and thereafter use the spotlight to persuade them to execute your CTA. With B2B businesses, you can use social media to convey exceptional takeaways and industry insights. While B2C businesses can explore new captivating messaging tactics.
24. How can I effectively market my small business on social media platforms?
A few steps that can help you are –
– Set up your business profile on popular platforms.
– Create content that is in alignment with your brand and customer persona.
– Post updates frequently.
– Collaborate with influencers to build followers base.
– Engage in live mutually benefitting interaction sessions.
25. What is email marketing?
It is an effective marketing practice that involves sending a message to a group of potential clients by using emails. It is one of the best ways to build a relationship with your prospects after which you can promote your idea/business. Personalized emails can help you build credibility with your prospects.
26. How can email marketing benefit small businesses?
Email marketing can benefit small business by helping in
– Etching out a unique brand
– Target specific content to a specific audience
– Position your business as an expert
– Giving the receiver a personal impact
– Making marketing campaigns efficient in terms of budget and time.
27. How can I build my email subscriber list?
The best way to create an email list is to attract prospects to share their email address in exchange for some freebies. You can offer free downloadable content, eBooks, or videos, as lead magnets. Share a link to this page on other platforms to gain referral traffic to help build your list.
28. How often should I send emails to my subscriber list?
Unlike social media and blog post updates which demand frequent updates, email sending needs discreet planning and scheduling. If you share emails very often, you carry the risk of being unsubscribed by your subscribers. Hence, depending on your line of operation and the potential customers in your list, set an email schedule.
Digital Marketing Analytics
29. What is digital marketing analytics?
Digital marketing analytics is the means for you to gauge the effectiveness of your marketing campaign. There exist tools that can help you see the campaign’s impact on your prospect’s buying behavior and also reveals the conversion rate. Based on these insights, you can tweak your campaign to garner better results.
30. Why is digital marketing analytics important for small businesses?
Analytics in digital marketing is critical to make current campaign adjustments as well as for future campaign planning. Analytics will give you insights that form the basis of your future digital marketing decisions. These insights come from websites, apps, and other electronic devices for analysis and planning purposes.